Once on Taprobane many guests find it hard to leave this dream-like island except to swim around it. The area however, does have some interesting sites, most of which can be done as day trips.
- Tea Plantations - the area around Galle has quite a few lowland plantations and excursions can be arranged
- Old Forts - Galle and Matara have well preserved Dutch Forts and lively markets.
- Beaches - Unawatuna, Thalpe and Merissa are within easy reach. The beaches of Tangalle make a very pleasant day trip
- The Stilt Fishermen - sitting like large cranes perched in the sea, these fishermen provide a splendid photo opportunity and are only a few kilometers from Taprobane.
- Devil Dances - local devil dances are still occasionally performed in the villages inland from Taprobane, ask the staff if any are scheduled during your stay.
- Diving - can be arranged at Unawatuna, Weligama and Dickwella. For those who want to learn to dive P.A.D.I. courses can be arranged.
- Surfing - the beaches at Merissa are very good being able to experience sunset cocktails or dining in so many amazing locations overlooking the Indian Ocean. for body surfing. More serious surfing can be found in Hikkaduwa. Surfing for beginners can be found 800 yards down Weligama Beach and advanced surfing 2km away in Midigama.
- Adventure Sports - Mountain bike rides can be arranged through a local company at Thalpe.
- Overnight trips can be arranged to the National Parks of Yala and Uda Walawe, the tropical rainforest of Sinharaja, or the overnight climb to the dawn from the top of Adams Peak.
- Lunuganga – the country residence of Geoffrey Bawa. Visit the 15 acres of Italian inspired garden and enjoy lunch or dinner at one of the worlds most magical retreats. A must do!
- Temples and relics - there are a number within easy reach of Taprobane.
- Dining - if wanting a night out, a good excursion is to go and watch the sunset from the ramparts of Galle Fort and then book for dinner at The Sun House.
- Antique Shops - the village of Ambalangoda has several antique shops offering Dutch colonial furniture.
- Shopping – When you wonder the historic fort of Galle you will find some great shops from boutiques, galleries, homewares and Sri Lanka’s best gems and jewellery.
- Massage & Spa treatments – we can arrange for a masseus to come to the island or alternatively the Amangalle Spa & the Light House Spa in Galle are superb places to treat yourself.
- If there are enough of you, ask the staff to organise a game of fireball hockey on the beach.. or just join in a game of cricket with the local teams.
- Whale and Dolphin watching from Merissa, one of the best places to see Blue whales in the world (December to April)
Our office in Galle can arrange all of these activities for you during your stay.